Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

11-11-09

I remember after the fact that it's a good idea to carry a paper PDA (aka a 3x5 index card) in your pocket so you can write down those random thoughts that will be lost to the fatigue fog of trying to blog at bedtime... But here we go!

Photobucket

Let's start with the big obvious one: One of my favorite veterans and former Marines whom the Lord brought home from two deployments still in one physical piece. My nephew Max, who was released (Is that the right word? I am not a Marine Mom.) from active duty on July 4 of this year.


What else was I thinking about today. It all seems pretty petty compared to that young man's soul that could have been sent into Eternity in the hills of Afghanistan last year.

Well, just tonight on the way home from church, I was thinking about how thankful I am for my husband who usually is the driver when we go to church. How I have been missing him now that he's been solidly occupied with the harvest of many, many acres of corn! :-( I have been saying for the past 8+ years that we've attended this particular church which is 20+ miles away how it's *always worth the drive* Hmmm, it is, it still is. But my body is ready for him to be my chauffeur again, thank you very much. Sorry, I'm tired tonight, so I'm sorta whiney.

And that beloved Man of Mine is Home! =) Time to get off the computer! So I guess I'll have to leave you with that.

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord that your nephew made it safely through 2 deployments! My husband saw a lot of death and casualties, working in a Combat Support Hospital in Iraq, but I think being a Christian really helped him avoid Post-Traumatic Stress - even though, of course, the memories will always be with him.
    P.S. I think the word you were looking for was "discharge" (in place of released)! :) Honorably discharged from active duty, to be all official like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Conny, I've just heard several times lately that you never say EX-Marine ;-) so I was trying to be careful with my terminology.

    I've heard that Max has 'good' dreams about Iraq, but nightmares about Afghanistan where he began as clerk before volunteering to replace a fallen comrade. He was happier with a gun.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!