Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hansi


I read this book last night.  ...all..of..it....  It's the auto-biography of Maria Anne, who once was a leader in the Hitler Youth.  Funny how things go around.  My daughter actually read the book first (and my son, and another daughter) then recommended it to a friend at church, Sarah, who found it at her library and read it - okay, read most of it - and then blogged about it yesterday  =)  So after reading Sarah's post, I thought I'd better get busy on it myself ~ espec since it might already be overdue at the library  :o

Such a good story.  So much sadness.  But also so much evidence of God's love and faithfulness.  I'll give you a couple quotes from later in the story.

"God," I pleaded humbly, "forgive my doubts; for now I know that thou art; and not only that, but God, thou art love."

I thought the stars smiled as they twinkled.  They reminded me of the time when Rudy and I had first met, and we had sat on that log to watch our friends the stars.  Then love had begun to bind our hearts together, and now love was again weaving.  But this time it was greater love, for God was in it.

And this on prayer and a new relationship with Christ while reading a book translated from Alone with God by Matilda Erickson Andross...

This writer said that there was nothing wrong with a formal prayer, but Christ longed for more than that!

She likened communication with Jesus to a telephone conversation -- we on one end, he listening on the other. But the usual prayers of Christians were monologues, she said. We would say our piece, finish with "Amen," and slam the receiver down. Shouldn't we stop long enough to listen? Would not Christ talk back to us if we waited for an answer?


...Jesus and I became friends that night when I surrendered my all to him the best I knew how.  Not that surrendering to Christ is over in a moment.  When a human being gives himself to Christ, it is the beginning of eternity, and it becomes a more meaningful reality from day to day with no end to its depth.

And here's a beautiful thought from Sarah's post...

It's amazing to think about how perfect God is and that even when we're not secure with the leadership of sinful man, we can be eternally secure in the leadership and love of a Holy God.



 I found this website if you want to learn more about Maria Anne Hirschmann right now.  :-)  Then go check out her book!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this~I am going to visit her site now!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooooo!! sounds like a book I'd like to read - because of my German heritage. I love a good story about how someone met God too! Thanks for passing along the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!