Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Thursday, April 29, 2010

cookie mama (baking day, part 2)




As I hinted, we also made cookies yesterday.  With the same good-for-you fresh whole wheat flour... which makes the cookies healthy, right?  (Hmmm, note the sugar in the first photo...)





Just for kicks, I used the teeny-tiny cookie scoop I bought for our family years ago, when our Bigs were still Littles.  Believe me, these are tiny.  That idea lasted for just one pan.  I didn't want to give myself carpal-tunnel syndrome with all that scooping!


Below, you can see the teeny-tiny cookies on the cooling rack behind a pan of normal-sized cookies that have been browned to perfection for the Head of this house.  (That's Tim, just in case you're wondering, but he does share.)


Miss MusicBox volunteered to load this pan for the freezer.  Another day we will have fresh-baked cookies again - so easy!


Oh, and here's the Cowgirl cleaning out the bowl to make some giant Daddy-sized cookies... with added chocolate chips since the dough seems to always run out.


I guess I should have a picture of Tim enjoying his cookies and milk... but he doesn't have much time for photo-journaling these days.


Cookie Mama Cookies (Glorified Toll House)

1 1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. olive oil
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1 T vanilla
~ 5 c. fresh whole wheat flour (enough to achieve the right consistency)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 - 1 c. chopped English walnuts or pecans
2-3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Sometimes we add peanut butter, rolled oats, freshly ground flax seed, honey, lemon juice, shredded coconut, or ??? (anything else that's handy and sounds like a good variation) Sometimes I make them wheat-free with flour milled from rye, barley and millet. Sometimes I use some all-purpose flour from the store, but I really prefer the taste with whole-grain flour :-) This is a double batch of cookies, so you need to use a good-sized mixer or strong arm and a big bowl -- or just cut the recipe in half again.

1 comment:

  1. minus pecans for me please (I'm allergic to pecans!) ... but mmmm mmmm - yummy!!!! I think it's great you prefer the whole-grain flour - I really haven't ever baked with it ... I'm a white flour addict, which I know isn't the best.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!