Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Monday, December 20, 2010

daybook ~ December 20 (post#299!)



 
 
FOR TODAY  
Monday, December 20, 2010




Outside my window...

it’s looking like more snow (?)  The cattle are still able to find fodder in the hayfield – that is a good reason to have minimal snow cover so far  :-)

 
I am thinking...
it’s almost CHRISTMAS!
Don’t forget about Treasures of the Snow ~ You can listen online here at 8pm US central time.  The audio drama version is SO good!  Part 6 is tonight, and tomorrow will be the last for this year!  Put it on your calendar for next December if you missed it this month.  You do have a calendar for 2011, don’t you?  =)


I am thankful …
… for answers to prayer
… for Tim taking the kids to their Sunday school program practice AND finishing our Christmas shopping on Saturday without me :-)
… for the lovely Christmas program last night ~ The Story of Jesus
 (Well done, Amber, Mrs. J, Jay, & kids!  Gotta love the microphone queen…and the donkey and lamb hoods)
DSC00815
DSC00818    DSC00816
… for my early Christmas present ♥

DSCN3861  
 
I am praying for...
... the Rettigs and the church in Prague  ~ Did you see in my sidebar that they are having another Bible Night in January?!  They have rented a 300-seat hall in the nearby city of Pribram.  This particular city is interesting because the population is descended from both the former Communist leaders and those who suffered and died in the uranium mines.
…Masha and her family in Belarus ~ that God will God will grant them safety in the midst of political unrest as well as eternal life.  (Masha has been attending the Bible studies in Prague since the campaign in September)
… the sale of my mother-in-law’s home
…  Amber’s dad
… Diane and family
… Grant S., who is doing well on his meds now ~ praying for stability
… Jeremy & Stacy
… Sarah’s grandma who is having knee surgery today, and her grandpa who is recovering from heart surgery – and Sarah & Jim and Josefine as they minister to them this Christmas

 
From the learning rooms...
the Youngers are on Christmas break!  The Bigs have a five-paragraph essay to write, among other things.

 From the kitchen... 
Julie’s taquitos are on the menu!  which means I need to thaw and cook a turkey!
and chili, broccoli cheese soup, leftover beef roast… 
I made dough for date pinwheels, Hawaiian tea cookies, and ‘candy canes’ ~ which all need to be baked this week (at least a pan or two of the frozen slice/bake dough – the rest can wait.)  The kids want to make the ‘candy canes’ tonight while we listen to Treasures of the Snow.  (The ‘candy canes’ are a sugar cookie dough that you color half – and supposed to flavor with peppermint – then make snakes of white and red/pink to twist together before baking… Make sense?  It’s a kid-friendly tradition here!)
       DSC00788    DSC00790
The Cowgirl, the Popper, and the Cattleman made the cut-out cookies on Saturday, but they still need frosting.  English toffee and pecan sandies are done.  Another big batch of peanut butter bon bons are smelling really good in the fridge ~ they need a coating of chocolate.
 
I am creating...
a resolve to mop our floor more often  ;-) 
(ya, I’m in need of New Year’s Resolutions)
 
I am going...
crazy.  Ha ha ~  maybe I’ll just switch the laundry. I’d like to go back to sleep!  Must be all the sugar in the air.
 
I am reading...
Growing in Gratitude ~ today’s passage:
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
Romans 11:33-36

 

I am hoping...
the big kids will quickly complete the necessary school work this week!

I am hearing... 
“All That I Need” by the Steve Pettit Evangelistic Team via Rhapsody, the washer and dryer, the kids chattering over their breakfast

Around the house...
I vac-ed and mopped the floor yesterday …after a Corelle plate shattered all over it; laundry is working ~ too bad it can’t iron or put itself away; Christmas stockings are stuffed; other gifts still need wrapping.
After Pastor mentioned nativity scene figures yesterday, we finally made a spot to display ours.
DSC00846
…both of them.  A friend gave us this Avon set many years ago.
DSC00850
 
One of my favorite things...

finished woodwork
 DSC00771    DSC00783

Pondering these words...
“The reflex action of thanksgiving…  My love flamed up from the dying embers, and my spirit soared.  I discovered that ingratitude impoverishes – but that a heavy heart lifts on wings of praise.” 
~ Robertson McQuilken, quoted by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
 
A few plans for the rest of the week:

Today ~ helping my aunt with a Christmas gift project, other local errands
Wednesday ~ groceries and chiropractor
Friday ~ Christmas Eve!
Saturday ~ Christmas Day!
   
Here is a picture for thought...
Can you guess what story these boys were part of in last night’s Christmas program?
      DSC00819     DSC00820
          DSC00821    DSC00822
 
Merry Christmas!
 
~ Find more Daybooks at Peggy's ~


P.S.  Next post is #300 ~ And it will be my first Giveaway!  :-)

5 comments:

  1. Your kids sang SO GOOD last night! I was very impressed with how they sang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, did your guys carry in the sick man onto the roof for the CHRISTMAS program??!!?!? I'm not sure what else to think.
    The pics of the children in the program are PRECIOUS!!!!

    HEY - I have THE SAME EXACT nativity figures - mine sit on a little wood plate thing they came with! :)
    I'm looking for a Little People nativity for Miriam - but so far haven't found it for under $29.99 ... maybe after Christmas clearance?! :)

    All that baking you're doing is making me gain 10 lbs just reading about it!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully refreshing post - thank you! I am now following you via GFC too. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hearing about the children helping with the Christmas baking brought back memories of when I had help in the kitchen...oh, well, it will get done or it won't...
    I got a Cybershot for Christmas last year..You'll enjoy it so much..mine is on the coffee table right now..it has become part of my decor so I can grab it anytime.
    Have a great week.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very busy day! They kinda all seem that way, I guess. As always, I loved the pictures, especially the Church program.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!