Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Thursday, October 28, 2010

for a change

 

I thought I would show you that I do not only make desserts around here.  Today I decided supper would be based upon this recipe:

Zucchini Casserole from Country Woman Magazine ~ which gave credit to Linda Pottinger of Florida when I copied it down in 1996.   (The kids are asking if I’ve ever made it, so it’s been about that long maybe?  If you follow the link, you can see it was originally published in 1987.  It’s almost an antique!) 

Since I must always be tweaking recipes to suit me and my cooking preferences (and what I have on hand), here’s today’s list of ingredients:

~ 5 cups cooked chicken

1 medium zucchini, chopped (which is a far cry from 6 cups the recipe calls for)

1/2 onion, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

1 lonely mushroom, chopped

~ 2 cups of homemade chicken gravy

(2-3T butter, 1/2 tsp Better Than Bouillon chicken base, 1/2 c water, 1/3 c whole wheat flour, 1 cup milk ~ with most of these just poured in until I thought it good)

1/3? cup sour cream

dash or two of garlic salt

1+ cup leftover cooked brown Basmati rice

2 slices homemade bread toasted and chopped, remnants of salad croutons, and about 8 saltines crunched up ~ the “topping” with another 2 T butter drizzled unevenly over the top.

Remind me to add some shredded cheddar cheese in another 20 minutes or so, please.

Okay, the pictures!

Gravy with sour cream added…

DSCN3173

 

The veggies, which I prefer to saute in a little butter and olive oil…

DSCN3174

 

And, finally, the casserole before it went in the oven!

DSCN3175

I suppose it will look better with some melted cheese?

 

Well, due to technical difficulties with the internet service, it is now out of the oven ~ Ta da!

DSCN3176

4 comments:

  1. wow, that was easy!! :) and looks pretty good too (with cheese, please).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was also a small amount of chopped green pepper that I forgot to list =)

    Various reactions from the kids: my turkey pot pie lover wished it was pot pie, while others thought it was a good improvement on pot pie =)

    Miss A called it a "heritage" meal since the recipe was SO old! ha ha

    And Tim is working late, so he'll get the leftovers tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it's so much more fun to make desserts isn't it? At least for me!
    That does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good! If you have tweaked a recipe, it now belongs to you.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!