Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Friday, October 29, 2010

cookie mama cookies

These have become a standard at our house, but they vary with the optional additions ~ in addition to those listed below, sometimes it’s unsweetened coconut or crispy rice cereal …or a mystery ingredient that needed to disappear  :-)

Cookie Mama Cookies*

Cream together:
1 ½ c softened butter
½ c vegetable oil (I use olive)
~ ½-1 c sugar
~ 1 c + brown sugar (orig. calls for 1 ½ c of each sugar)
 
Add:
4-6 eggs  (use more than 4 if you like cakey cookies)
1 T vanilla extract
baking day 025
 
Optional:
1 tsp lemon juice or extract
honey
~ ½ c. peanut butter
1-3 c. rolled oats (this will affect how much flour you need)
 
Stir in:
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3-4 c fresh whole-grain flour (wheat or rye mix)
(Option – use some all-purpose white flour)
 
Add:
2-3 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c chopped English walnuts (or pecans)
1-2 cups additional flour until dough is right consistency
 
baking day 041
Basically these are glorified Toll House cookies in a double-batch (which works great in our big mixer).
And with whole grains and less sugar, they are somewhat healthy ~ 
so Tim says: Eat two!
Bake 15 min at 350* (Try 10 min if you use a small cookie scoop).  Cool cookies on the pan a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.  The more whole grain flour you use, the more crumbly they will be.
 
baking day 045
 
* “Cookie Mama” is the name earned by Rebekah Pearl Anast when she sold these cookies --  I have modifed her recipe (of course!)
 
We usually bake a few pans of cookies, then freeze the remaining cookie dough on wax paper… (transfer to a ziploc when frozen) … to bake another day!
 
baking day 048

You’ll find all kinds of new recipes this weekend at Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade!!


:::Edit::: 
Photos are from April ~ I still have NO choc chip cookies in my house!  :-(
And, more important to your taste buds:  I use FRESH-milled white wheat flour.  This recipe will NOT taste the same with red wheat flour from the store.  SO, I suggest you use about 50-50 of whole wheat and all-purpose flour ~ to begin with at least. 

5 comments:

  1. You are a cooking machine, woman! These cookies look really yummy. I'll have to give these a try. I don't know why it never occurred to me to freeze cookie dough portions. Great idea for those times when I just want to pop in a few to restrain us from over indulging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'd have to eat AT LEAST 3 though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, Cathy, I like cookie dough too ~ Thus, cookie dough in the freezer is about as tempting as cookies in the kitchen =)
    But it IS great to be able to serve fresh-baked cookies without stirring up more dough!

    Also, see the note I've added to the post before you try these at home.

    Conny, these are more filling (or so a friend tells me) ~ but even if I eat three, the whole grains slow down the sugar ~ espec if you chase the cookies with milk ~ so it's not quite the diabetic nightmare ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy!
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'll be making these soon :-)

    ~Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!