Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/2001

Was it only yesterday?  or a lifetime ago?




September 11, 2001.  I was focused on getting some schoolwork done with our older children.  We were also preparing for a small birthday party with family and friends for Kate, who would be 8 years old the next day.  It was Tuesday - thus we had the party a day early.  (We couldn't have a birthday party on a Wednesday night while we were at church.)  Kate was so excited.  Eight was her favorite number ~ and her 8th birthday meant marvelous things in her world.

Sometime that morning my friend Marianne called from Wisconsin.  "Turn on your TV."  I did, but soon I shut it off again.  I didn't feel I could let my little children see the horrendous pictures and videos just then.  Without knowing what they would see ...or remember of it for the rest of their lives.

I did load them all into the van that afternoon.  Then we sat in line to buy gas.  I can't tell you what the price was by 4pm, but it had gone up drastically through the day.  I didn't know where it would stop.  And when you drive a laaaarrrgge van, the price of gas seems important.  And I think I needed to do something.  Not that it helped anyone.

It was a rather interesting birthday party.  We had the TV on some ~ the videos weren't live at that point.  It was still so unreal... but incredibly true.





Click here for credits to Luke Cremin's photo of Trade Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from y'all!