{and I take no pictures?}
Twenty years ago, my folks hosted a young man from Brazil. He quickly became their Brazilian ‘son,’ and over the years my folks have visited a few times at his home. And several years ago, Toco {Cornelio} returned to Iowa with his mom along. Sweet, sweet Rosa. Well, this year for the Farm Progress Show {which is a big, big deal in the Midwest – and in Brazilian agriculture as well}, Toco returned again – along with his wife & children, his mom, and his cousin & her family. Rosa spent the two weeks with my mom & dad while the younger generations spent their first week at Disney World before coming to Iowa. {anti-climactic?}
Thus begins the Week of Wishing I Knew a Bit More Portugese. And dining most evenings with my extended family and our South American friends.
Monday, August 25::
Abby had an orthodontist appointment, so I suggested she and Kate do their ‘back-to-school’ shopping at the same time… {{Five hours later?}}
The annual Farm Picnic ~ my uncle and brother {and maybe more?} grill up a bzillion turkey tenderloins [this is not breaded like a pork tenderloin, it’s a marinated choice piece of breast meat like a delish grilled chicken sandwich you would buy at ChickFilA or somewhere… only better cuz it’s turkey of course] and sweet corn etc while the rest of us bring side dishes and dessert. We brought a watermelon {I bought at least four whole watermelons when Kate & I were grocery shopping} – pretty tough contribution I must say. Altho I regretted my choice of platter when the juice spilled in my lap as we exited our driveway. ahem.
I told the girls they should *finish* their shopping before they came to the picnic, so they arrived about the time we were ready to come home again. But they did get to meet/greet our visitors.
Tuesday::
Tim and the younger kids went off to the Farm Progress Show for the day. I encouraged Kate & Abby to get their stuff packed… then left them alone to do it.
I was determined to have some girlfriend time with Jill {espec since it was her birthday}, so we lunched at Hickory Park – complete with ice cream—and ran several errands together {exciting stuff like the getting the oil changed}.

For supper we again joined my family, this time for my mom’s lasagna. We brought a lettuce salad, and I bought some of my fave take/bake bread to bake in their oven also [French baguettes from New French Bakery out of the Twin Cities – y.u.m.]

Wednesday::
Exciting news to celebrate: Tim’s niece moved home from the brain trauma rehab center!
Meanwhile we were doing more encouraging of Kate & Abby to pack up their stuff. So much stuff and so late in the morning with our departure, that we left the younger three home to mind the ranch.
Quick stop at Tim’s mom’s to pick up even more stuff for the girls… and on to the dorm! After all the said stuff was delivered and looked somewhat orderly lining the hallway… the girls went off to a meeting, and Tim & I went in search of an appealing source of supper. He wanted a smoothie {not a burger ;-)}, and I didn’t really know what I wanted. We found a Panera Bread… and would you believe that was our first time ever to eat there?!
Tim had the Frontega Chicken Panini and a B-Green Smoothie! I had the Smokehouse Turkey Panini {halves plus salads}. Color us happy ~ and willing to eat there again!





After the evening church service we were able to meet Kayleb’s beloved Kara, say hello to more family, and finally pray with our girls and leave them to begin a new school year of growing and learning.
Thursday::
We left from Tim’s mom’s a little later than hoped, but he was helping his sister narrow her shopping choices of a ‘new’ car. We left with hopes she would have a title in hand before the day was over, but that choice didn’t pan out after all. :-( She may still be driving a borrowed vehicle even now…
We made it home anyway – after another lunch stop at Casey’s for gas/pizza. The kids at home had been busy cleaning house ~ aren’t they just great?!
Guess what? Dinner again with our Brazilian friends… this time at a nice Italian restaurant in Ames, courtesy of Toco. Pizza looked really good – I lost track of how many the kids ate altogether. Tim & I shared a calzone – very tasty.
Friday, August 29 ::
I made a menu for the entire month of September and went grocery shopping. The Cowgirl was planning to go to a baseball game with the youth group, but it was raining …and I {the taxi driver} was tired. She agreed to stay home instead… so we all went to my Aunt & Uncle’s for one last dinner with the Brazilians. Before we left Dani, Marilene & I connected on facebook, so now we can chat anytime -- with translation by Google if needed. :-)
No interpreter needed for this picture of Toco & Dani’s kids from the Farm Progress Show…

Saturday::
Tim & Thomas probably worked on the shed again… just a normal Saturday at home.
The Popper continued to pick raspberries…
Sunday:: Last Day of August! what a month it’s been.
:) Ah, Panera ... glad you discovered it!! We were SO excited to get a Panera in Middle-of-No-Where, Missouri about a year before we moved!!! Miriam LOVES their broccoli cheese soup (although it is super easy to make at home!).
ReplyDeleteMy brother-in-law (a pastor - Presbyterian though) shares his church with a Brazillian congregation ... he says they love to eat, cook, and sing. :) Not sure if that's stereotypical - but sounds like my kind of folks!! :)