Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Monday, February 14, 2011

death by chocolate (or so it’s called)

 Laura recently posted about some favorite goodies for Valentine’s Day.   So here I am, succumbed to the temptation of Death by Chocolate…  Wanna join me?

First, a half-batch of Perfect Brownies with chopped English walnuts and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips ~ and fresh whole wheat flour!  This is going to be healthy!

019

I opted for homemade chocolate pudding from my Better Homes & Gardens cook book, but tweaked the method a bit after reading Laura’s recipe  :-)  You know me, I’m all about tweaking and making it easier!  I also added an extra ounce of semi-sweet baking chocolate.. just because more chocolate seemed appropriate.

018   020

021

I followed Laura’s method of 3 layers of brownies and pudding in a beautiful glass bowl…

023   024

I splurged on Picket Fence cream – oh la la!  Such fresh yummy goodness!  And since they bottle in a 12-ounce container, we have LOTSA creamy goodness here…

026  027

And a few more mini chocolate chips for decoration ~ Ta da!

032


Perfect Brownies
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
4 eggs
¾ c. cocoa
2 Tbsp. veg. oil (or more butter)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. flour
1 c. chopped walnuts
Cream sugar and butter; add eggs and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and blend. Pour into greased 9x13” pan. Bake 30-35 min. at 350*. Cool and frost with thin layer of Butter Cream Frosting (chocolate).
NOTE: For today’s half-batch (8x8 dish) I used about 3/4 cup whole wheat flour.
 
Chocolate Pudding (Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book, c. 1981)
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 cups milk
2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 beaten egg yolks or 1 beaten egg
Whisk dry ingredients together in a heavy saucepan, add milk, egg, and chocolate.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook another minute or two.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Another NOTE: The cook book directs to carefully add the raw egg to the hot thickened milk mixture and cook another two minutes, but I chose to follow Laura’s directions and add the egg while the milk is still cold… seems to have worked just fine without any potential for scrambled eggs in my pudding.  Yay!
 
Cool brownies and pudding before layering dessert.
 
 
Now it’s time I was frying the gyro meat!

~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ 


{  7 pm post script:  Tim says it's good, but "Better than Perkins" Pie is best!  } 

2 comments:

I would love to hear from y'all!