Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

daybook 11/20/2013

 

DSCN2906

For today, Wednesday, November 20, 2013



Outside my window... it is overcast and breezy with a few sprinkles of rain.  Potential snow tomorrow night.


Hearing... the Popper practicing memory verses.


Pondering... how quickly a life can change.


Praying... for Tim’s 18yo niece Kim who was in a major car accident yesterday afternoon – hit broadside by a semi.  She is stable in ICU and the doctors are hopeful, but she has a long, long road to recovery. 


Thankful... for the life-saving protection of an old Buick.


Creating... ? I bought this Christmas placemat thingy at $General to maybe put on a pillow cover, but the center will need additional embellishment.  Or removal.  Methinks this is not the quick project like the leaf pillows others have made.

DSC00140


Going... to celebrate Thanksgiving & Christmas with my extended family this Sunday!


Reading... 1 Peter; One Candle to Burn


Looking forward to... good news about Kim, Christmas, a new year

Clip Art - 2014 new year <br />background. fotosearch <br />- search clipart, <br />illustration posters, <br />drawings and vector <br />eps graphics images

 

In the kitchen... still apples to deal with, but I think I will wait until Saturday to bake pies for Sunday.  {procrastination?}

I did bake about 128 butterhorns last Friday – and put them in the freezer.  Also mixed up some extra cinnamony honey butter ~ with portions set aside to ship to my college kiddos along with a bag of frozen butterhorn rolls.  {Their care packages should arrive today, the Lord & the USPS willing.}

   DSC00136  DSC00137

Menu ~  we’ve had ham/potato casserole, baked taquitos, and broccoli cheese soup.  Tonight ~ BBQ biscuits.  Tomorrow ~ leftover beef roast?  Friday ~ calzones?


In the learning rooms... I’ve requested the movie Cromwell through inter-library loan since we are up to the Puritan Revolution {English Civil War} in history.


Around the house... the usual dust bunnies ~ and several packages ready for Sunday!  :-)

DSC00139

{Yes, I indulged my want for baker’s twine ~ 40% off at Hobby Lobby, thank you very much!}


The Mother Load... banking, accounting, check schoolwork, make pies and cranberry sauce for Sunday.  And of course, there’s laundry, ironing, and cleaning et al


Noticing that... how the mighty are fallen.  Because they are but sinful men.  And there, but for the grace of God, go I.  Take heed.


Something fun to share...

My daughters want something like this to hang in our basement library/family room.

 Read Sign Readers are Leaders School Teacher Kids Room Decor Barnwood Red

$42 on etsy

or $12 unpainted on e-bay in a different font ~ What would you choose?

 

 

A favorite quote passage for today... from Leonard Wibberley’s The Mouse that Roared:

‘I hope,' said Gloriana warily, 'that you are not going to suggest that I marry the American minister because I won't do it. I've been reading about the Americans in a women's magazine and they're all cruel to their wives,'

'Cruel to their wives?' echoed the count.

'Precisely. They treat them as equals. They refuse to make any decisions without consulting them. They load them up with worries they should keep to themselves. And when there isn't enough money, they send them out to work instead of earning more by their own efforts. Some of them even make their wives work so they can go to college. They are not men at all. They are men-women. And their wives are women-men. If I am to marry, I want a husband who will be a man and let me be a woman. I'll be able to handle him better that way.'


One of my favorite things... a squash worth cooking

1119131628


A few plans for the rest of the week... Piano lessons and too many errands, clean the office, make/bake for Thanksgiving meals, and shop-shop-shop for Christmas gifts



A peek into my world...

The cows begin to beller when we open the garage door ~ and gather quickly at the fence.  They like the apples our friends have shared with them!

DSC00135

~.~.~.~.~

Giving credit where credit is due:

While I am not linking up with anyone, you could read more weekly news posts at other blogs by following any of these links:

  • Julie for adapting this daybook version as her own ‘Grasshopper Days’ ~ Perhaps I could call it the GHV Daybook. :)

~.~.~.~.~

Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord,

that thou fulfil it. Colossians 4:17

5 comments:

  1. Gee, Melanie, I really shouldn't read your blog right before lunch! (so hungry!!!) Butterhorns sound wonderful :D and that quote - lovin' it.

    So, be sure to show and tell how the pillow goes! Looks beautiful, but definitely more complex than a simple leaf!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY - prayer for your niece - glad she is as ok as one can be when hit by a semi. So, she was in a BUICK?!?! That gives me hope that if Dan ever stalls out in his and gets hit, he too will survive (we have narrowed our diagnosis down to "phantom stalling" which is apparently a common thing in this year's Buicks - 1996)... but now we need to find someone who can guarantee a fix without us throwing away MORE money. :(

    Anyway, love the READ sign. Dan, too, would approve.

    And are you referring to Vision Forum's leadership's fall ? So sad and yet, I am no longer as surprised when I hear such things. Which in and of itself is sad that I don't feel surprised. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love your toquitos recipe~ Mine never turns out well!
    Love the red on the pillows~
    Like the read sign, but not the price! haha (-:
    Tania D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. -So glad your niece was spared. You really can't beat a Buick. My hubby has worn out two and is working on his third.
    -Wondering to which fallen mighty-one you're referring...
    -Love your brown paper packages tied up with string, er... baker's twine.
    -What is the smoking structure in the foreground of the last photo? Is that a little smokehouse? Intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What were the little packages (so cute, by the way!)? :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!