Captured by Sarah Photography ~ August 29, 2012

Monday, October 24, 2011

kitchen days {daze}

 

This week I’m coming to the quick conclusion that it is NOT a virtue to “not do anything by halves.”

Case in point…

It’s now Wednesday about 10am.  I have tortillas warming in the oven, rice and refried beans cooking on the stove, sauce and enchilada filling ready to combine in a dish, and dessert is ready to cut and serve.  {still lacking an official veggie – not sure if I’ll wash lettuce or what..}

Today is {Last Wednesday was} Tim’s birthday!  :D

DSC04841 

And I expected him to be in the combine still today.  {But they finished last night – woot woot!}  So I volunteered to fix birthday dinner for all the field guys.  Tim chose enchiladas instead of lasagna.

Sooo yesterday, I baked two batches of bread {one was for my brother}, mixed up potato bun dough {because that’s what you do with leftover mashed potatoes}, cooked up something ‘easy’ for supper, cooked up the enchilada burger filling, and made tortillas {first time ever!}  Oh, and I took Kate to/from work – and rode in the combine for a couple miles while Mike’s bread rose a bit higher than necessary  ;-)

Of course I took pictures  : )  But I’ll hopefully snap a few more when the meal is actually ready to deliver.  {snap?  Do we still snap pictures with digital cameras?}

Stay tuned…

 

…. Much Later ….

So much for finishing this post while it was still Tim’s birthday!  8-)

But here are the promised photos…

Tortillas!

    DSC04829   DSC04830

        DSC04831   DSC04832

My method needs improvement, but they were still edible.  And Tim says less whole wheat flour. 

 

Filling and sauce for the enchiladas ~

DSC04833   DSC04840

      DSC04843   DSC04856

 

Refried beans and Mexican rice (with some spicy peppers from the garden!)

DSC04839   DSC04861

 

For a meal that looked something like this:

DSC04862

 

And don’t forget dessert!  Symphony Tier Bars ~

 DSC04860

DSC04836 

 

While the potato buns have been baked and consumed without a photo op, here’s proof I did bake bread  ;-)

DSC04835

 

And even better looking and tasting was this cheese cake by Kate ~ Mississippi Mud!

           DSC04814    DSC04824 

  DSC04826

She made the cheese cake last weekend before Tim’s birthday ~ The last sliver is still in the fridge along with the last piece of symphony tier bars!  Is there any such thing as too much chocolate?!

5 comments:

  1. So much time in the kitchen! I say, Wonderful and Ugh at the same time. It is my goal to make homemade tortillas before the year is out. We'll see.

    Anyways, I wanted to thank you. I can't remember what link I followed, a homeschool curriculum one. But it was off of your site and I ended up borrowing a bunch of wonderful books from our library because of your post. What a blessing as we aren't able to purchase curriculum this year. Good stuff! God bless you good today and thanks for always visiting the times. We love your visits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there really such a thing as "left over mashed potatoes"?? My husband would rather eat them than dessert ... :) But me, I'd rather have a piece of that mud pie cheesecake (minus pecans - they make my tongue swell!). :)
    Happy belated bday to Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie - I'm coming for dinner..!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're back to posting again... and making me hungry again!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from y'all!